Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Dietary Protein 101: What Is Protein, And Why Do We Need To Eat It Every Day?
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
September 30, 2012
2:02 pm
First-Eater
Forum Posts: 2045
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Jen W:

Absolutely.  Corn is stored in elevators and is the same year-round, but grass (and hay) are seasonal.

JS

November 13, 2012
8:27 am
WalterB

Re: Leucine

While it does not dissolve in water, it mixes fine with coconut oil, hardly bothers me at all. In general, those things that don't dissolve in water may dissolve in oil.

November 18, 2012
7:53 pm
First-Eater

WalterB:

That's good advice.  (Unless you're trying to take your leucine while otherwise fasted...)

JS

October 19, 2013
9:28 am
Brandon

Hey JS, does it matter how much protein you bring in each day to maintain/build muscle?

October 21, 2013
9:01 pm
First-Eater

Brandon:

Yes.  I don't know any serious source that recommends less than 1.2g/kg/day for anyone active, and Olympic weightlifters in training can be in negative protein balance at 2g/kg/day!

I've seen the objection that "your body can only build X grams of muscle per day," but that's silly.  Amino acids in the blood aren't just raw materials: some are anabolic signals, particularly leucine.

That being said, chugging 200g+ of whey protein a day is likely to be counterproductive as well as expensive: whey is absorbed so quickly that it's probably not useful to consume more than one scoop at a time.  (Or less: I seem to get the same results from a 15-18g serving as a 30g serving.)  In contrast, it can take many hours to digest and absorb meat, so it's fine to eat a big steak.

JS

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 183

Currently Online:
13 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1763

Members: 5338

Moderators: 0

Admins: 1