Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
My AHS 2013 Bibliography Is Online (and, Why You Should Buy An Exercise Physiology Textbook)
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
September 4, 2013
5:35 am
First-Eater
Forum Posts: 2045
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

First, for those who haven't seen it already (it's been online for about a week), the bibliography of my 2013 AHS presentation "What Is Metabolic Flexibility, and Why Is It Important?" can be found here. I'll post the video as soon as it's made available.

Not An AHS 2013 Recap

If I try to list everyone who contributed to my experience, I'll no doubt forget several important people. However, I have a few observations about the AHS, and the state of the community in general:

September 4, 2013
7:46 am
neal matheson

Looks good but pricey, a library trip I think. I'm looking forward to seeing your talk from this year.

September 4, 2013
9:05 am
James Steele

Was great meeting you at AHS J! My diary is now covered in the stickers you gave me.

Great shout on the Exercise Physiology textbook too. I second the recommendation....not like my opinion is biased though being an exercise physiologist and all 😉

Looking forward to next year already!

James

September 4, 2013
11:29 am
eddie watts

the bibliography looks like it will take forever for me to work through.

so i better get started!

thanks for this

September 4, 2013
5:19 pm
Ash Simmonds

I bought the "Physiology of Sport and Exercise - 5th Edition" last year at fairly large expense and with great anticipation, only to find that they simply kick the same "eat less move more and make sure you get a balanced diet" BS.

Go to page 366 and they seem to completely misunderstand the role of ketones and carbohydrates - how is this possible in a tome all about physiology?

*sigh*

September 5, 2013
2:29 pm
Beowulf

After three years of paleo, I'm really a fan of Eat Like a Predator and The Primal Blueprint (the book, NOT the forum currently held hostage by idiots) minus any sort of actual counting. It keeps me healthy, happy, and full of energy without overtaxing my brain just to figure out a meal.

As for restrictive eating, I find it amusing that many consider my diet to be very restricted without pausing to think that their own diet is based almost entirely on wheat, corn, and soy. Oy.

I can't wait for the AHS 2013 videos to be posted. I learned a LOT from that last time.

September 6, 2013
9:49 am
eddie watts

^^^
yes many people say something to me like "but that is such an unvaried diet, i like variety"
and i'm like "what like cereal for breakfast (wheat and sugar), sandwich for lunch (wheat), pasta for dinner (wheat) and dessert (sugar and wheat)???
whereas my daily diet is bacon and eggs with vegetables for breakfast, extra matured beef with 3 vegetables for lunch, sweet potato and spare ribs with fruit for dinner?
seems like my diet has more variety than yours?"

they never seem to take that in though

September 9, 2013
12:55 pm
Ash Simmonds

@Eddie Watts

To me that's a "varied" diet - all I do is load up on either 2-4lb of steak or bacon and eggs once a day.

September 10, 2013
4:30 am
First-Eater

neal:

Since it's a college text, older editions are usually available for a substantial discount.

James:

It was a pleasure to finally meet you!  I'm glad you've put the stickers to good use.  If you need more, let me know.

Also, I went back and re-read the paper you sent -- and it makes a lot more sense to me now that I've done so much more reading on mitochondrial bioenergetics and compensatory adaptation.

eddie:

The bibliography will make a lot more sense once you've seen the presentation!

Ash:

That's exactly why I disclaimed my recommendation with "There is very little bad nutrition advice...only a few pages out of several hundred."  And yes, the bad advice starts on page 366.

It's also funny that all their nutrition recommendations are aimed at "make sure your muscles are absolutely stuffed with glycogen at all times".  While full reserves are best for optimum performance in competition, fasted training and glycogen-depleted training are proven to increase the basal rate of fat oxidation, and consequently maximum aerobic capacity...so they're definitely behind the curve.

Beowulf, eddie:

People claim paleo is "restrictive" because of the lack of hearthealthywholegrains, while forgetting that the Nutrition Guidelines for Americans restrict the entire food group that made us human -- meat.  And eggs.  Hint: if you have to "fortify" foods with vitamins because the people who try to survive on it die of deficiency diseases, they're not worth eating in the first place.

And don't worry about me turning into a Peatarian.  Based on my own reading and research, I agree with Emily Deans: "Peat has some interesting ideas, but I've seen him write with great authority on a few subjects he clearly had absolutely no experience with, and so I don't trust him at all."  (That observation also applies to his many popularizers.)

Thanks, everyone, for your support!  I too am looking forward to the videos from this year, and I'm assured they'll be done sooner than they did last year.

JS

September 11, 2013
12:37 pm
Heather

V***ns remove the meat group (or meat AND dairy). They commended on making such a healthy choice. Primal/Paleo folks remove the grain group (sometimes also dairy). Yet we get accused of "unnecessarily removing a food group". Apparently my body thought it was necessary. Heck I weigh less now than I did when I went through puberty!!

October 10, 2013
8:04 am
Matt

I'm finding quite interesting the free coursera lecture, 'Introduction to Human Physiology' that is offered by Duke. Free, but only available for a limited time.

October 10, 2013
8:19 pm
First-Eater

Heather:

Veg*anism is religious in origin.  Think of it as a religion and it'll make a lot more sense.

Matt:

Thanks for the pointer!

JS

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: 183

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1760

Members: 5332